Thursday, September 10, 2009

A Very ecoCLEVER Science Project: A Solar Panel Made from Human Hair.

My Uncle M forwarded this article to me yesterday from DVICE with the message:

"With your longer hair I think you could power a city!"

My hair is at its longest these days. Part laziness for booking a haircut, part economical and well a much bigger part that I have become quite fond of long hair :) But back to the topic at hand.... Full excerpt from DVICE article:

A schoolboy from Nepal has come up with a recession-busting new solar panel which replaces the silicon component with human hair. Milan Karki, an 18-year-old student from the region of Khotang, devised the idea after discovering that hair pigment Melanin acts as an energy converter.

Each panel, which is around 15 inches square, produces 9 Volts (18 Watts) of energy, and costs $38 to make. This, it has to be said, is mainly due to the price of the raw materials: half a kilo of human hair costs around 25¢ in Nepal. Karki is hoping to commercialize his invention, which can charge a cellphone or power batteries to provide an evening's worth of light, and eventually mass produce it.

"First I wanted to provide electricity for my home, then my village," says Karki, who was inspired by British physicist Stephen Hawking. "Now I am thinking for the whole world. We have begun the long walk to save the planet." Catch a shot of the teenager's invention below.

I love stories like this. So inspiring. An 18-year old how was simply inspired to provide electricity for his home and then his village! I certainly hope that Milan Karki is able to parlay this into something amazing for him and his village... And hopefully the world!

xo,
ej

PS - A more in depth article posted by my bro on Daily Mail here.

2 comments:

D'angelo said...

WOW...truly inspiring! And practical as far as I can see. Human hair is natural and just waste if not made into wigs etc.

Thesolar said...

Learning to make solar energy and specifically, home solar panels is not necessarily an

easy task and a lot of people might not really know where to start. That being said, with

the help of solar energy plans, even consumers with minimal DIY experience can build

solar energy and save themselves thousands every year. Build Solar panel

ShareThis

Snap Shots

Get Free Shots from Snap.com
Related Posts with Thumbnails