Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A Request for Help for the Victims of Typhoon Ondoy

Photo: Francis R. Malasig

Today's post is a little more on the solemn side of things... Please take a moment to read about the recent floods in Southeast Asia that have severely affected the Philippines. This natural disaster is without a doubt directly related to how we treat Mother Earth. Please remember that Everyday is Earth Day.

As you have likely heard...

On Sept. 26, the Philippine capital Manila and its neighboring provinces suffered one of nature's worst beating. Typhoon Ondoy, international code name Ketsana, poured more than a month's worth of rain in six hours, submerging most parts of the bustling metropolis, drowning at least a hundred people as of press time. My prayers to the victims, and may we emerge victorious and live by the lessons of this tragedy. (Photos by Reuters. Music by Ennio Morricone, "Love Theme" from "Cinema Paradiso."


I happen to be originally from the Philippines so this hits very close to home. In fact my parents and one of my brothers live in Manila, as do my grandmothers, many aunts, uncles and cousins and friends. Thankfully with the exception of some being stranded for a few hours, all my friends and relatives are safe and sound, however many others are not...

I didn't post this yesterday, as I was waiting for Red Cross Canada to include this recent calamity to their list of online donations. This morning I made a personal donation to help the victims of Typhoon Ondoy (listed as "Philippines Typhoon"). Please consider making a donation too. The minimum online donation is only $5, and even that much will go a long way.

RedCross.ca will accept donations from Canada and the US, but if you're American and would prefer you may make a donation at RedCross.org, or wherever you may call home at the Red Cross near you.

If you make any sort of donation large or small (no need to tell me how much), please let me know as I would like to personally thank you via snail mail :)

Thank you for taking the time to read this appeal for donations. Every bit helps, even just hopeful thoughts and prayers :)

xo,
ej

No comments:

ShareThis

Snap Shots

Get Free Shots from Snap.com
Related Posts with Thumbnails