Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Film Review Wednesday

Saw "The Time Traveler's Wife" at 9, since it was sold out at 630. Note to future self: Arrive at least 40 minutes before a show if you want to take advantage of Two-Toonie Tuesdays at Rainbow Cinema.

Back to my movie review... It was worth the later showing... I loved it! In fact, Megan, am reading the book already too. I adore how it's written in both Clare and Henry's perspective. I don't want to typecast Rachel McAdams, but she definitely has a talent for chick flicks such as this and The Notebook.

I haven't read Jodi Picoult... Yet. Didn't she write "My Sister's Keeper," now also a movie starring Cameron Diaz? Thanks for the recommendation, Megan... And glad you like my approach on movies and books.

Speaking of a movie based on a book, and trailers... Have you seen the trailer for "Where the Wild Things Are?" I manage to find a YouTube version that is embed-able...



One of my favourite children's books, alongside "Good Night Moon..." The trailer gives me the impression that the book just magically comes alive before your eyes with this film! I haven't seen it yet, but I think this is rather impressive considering that there are some books that are just really poorly adapted on the big screen. I guess I will have to wait and find out...

Finally, all this talk about movies is getting me excited about tiff, the Toronto International Festival. It's fast approaching, and I can't wait for the list of films to be released on August 25th! I've festivaled before, but this will be the first time I am organizing it. In the past, I am usually tagging along with a friend who does all the work... This year, I've even invited a friend in Connecticut to drive up and check out the festival I keep raving about, and a girlfriend from Toronto who's never gone to tiff! Should be fun!

I don't know if you've ever been to a festival, but they are definitely an experience. One of my faves in fact.... Even waiting in line. Whenever in queue, I've chatted up with some really cool folks, lots of out-of-towners and locals as well. Last year, while my girlfriend Sheya and I were waiting patiently hoping to get in to a ticket in the rush line, we ended up chatting up with two local filmmakers. We didn't get into the movie we wanted, but we got in to the next one... Was fun waiting in line. The following rush queue, I waited patiently and ended up being given a free ticket by one of the directors of the short film... You just never know what'll happen!

It's as if the festival transforms the city with buzz and excitement! Much like when I travel, opportunities abound to people watch and make new friends. Plus, there's of course the actual screening of films... Also different from the regular experience, because during the festival the audience really comes alive. If it's funny, you really hear the entire audience fill with laughter... Not a good movie, and you'll hear people grumbling. Then there are the occasional chances to ask the filmmaker questions. All in all, definitely something to check out!

I'm pretty certain there are still tickets... Plus there's always rushing ;)

That's it for my movie reviews... Off to Ecojot Headquarters to mail stuff, a.k.a. prizes!

Happy Hump Day!

xo,
ej

No comments:

ShareThis

Snap Shots

Get Free Shots from Snap.com
Related Posts with Thumbnails